Blackwell Burke P.A. is a certified minority-owned litigation trial firm with a national practice and winning record of world-class results in high stakes litigation, MDLs, class actions, and multi-state matters.
- Secured summary judgment for Conagra in the first case to proceed through summary judgment and Daubert motions, pending in U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York. Plaintiffs claim burn injuries resulting from alleged defects in aerosol cooking spray cans.
- Secured pro bono Eighth Circuit reversal of an immigration judge’s decision denying an abused woman, Amreya Shefa, a deportation hearing, and later Board of Immigration Appeals’ affirmance.
- Secured landmark victory for 3M Company in Federal Bair HuggerTM MDL securing dismissal of 5,000+ cases in one of the 10 largest MDLs in the U.S.
- Resolved environmental contamination action brought by Minnesota Attorney General against 3M. The $850 million settlement was the largest environmental settlement in Minnesota, and third largest in U.S. history, ending 8 years of litigation over a former ingredient (fluorochemicals, or PFCs) that allegedly contaminated drinking water.
- Secured complete victory for General Mills, Inc. in a putative nationwide class action over the alleged false advertising of the company’s Nature Valley snack bars.
- Secured summary judgment victory for Medtronic, Inc., in the first of 44 cases pending in Minnesota state court. Court dismissed Plaintiff ’s claim that her Virtuoso implantable cardioverter defibrillator (ICD) was defectively manufactured and failed prematurely.
- Won complete defense verdict in bench trial, securing $14,232,000 in termination payments, plus prejudgment interest for IBM.
Firm Rankings and Recognition:
- Benchmark Litigation Minneapolis Firm of the Year (2017, 2018, 2019, 2020)
- Benchmark Litigation Highly Recommended Firm (2014 – 2016)
- 7 Benchmark Litigation Stars – Jerry Blackwell, Corey Gordon, Gerardo Alcazar, Mary Young, Benjamin Hulse, Deborah Lewis, and Jamal Faleel. Benchmark Litigation Future Stars – Emily Ambrose, Charmaine Harris, and Ted Hartman.
- 2020 BTI Litigation Powerhouse. Previously received BTI Honor Roll in Class Action Litigation, BTI Legal Mover & Shaker, BTI Client Service A-Team, BTI Brand Elite Firm, BTI Client Service MVP, BTI Client Service All-Star
- 2020 Chambers and Partners Ranked Firm. Leading Firm (2018 – 2019), Chambers Diversity Short List (2019)
- 3M Supplier of the Year Award
- General Mills Supplier Diversity Excellence in Service Award
- Minnesota Super Lawyers® and Rising Stars
- Hennepin County Legal Employer Diversity Award