Gibbs & Bruns LLP is a litigation boutique engaged exclusively in high-stakes business and commercial litigation. The firm is acclaimed for its high-value and precedent-setting work across the banking, energy, technology, and financial services sectors, among others. Gibbs & Bruns is renowned for its signature lean trial teams and representation of both plaintiffs and defendants in complex matters. Representation of clients on both sides of the docket gives our trial lawyers unique insights into what motivates opponents in court and during settlement negotiations.
As top-flight as it gets. A boutique staffed with outstanding lawyers.
An excellent high-stakes litigation firm – top-notch across the board.
Creative, resourceful, committed, responsive, talented across the board.
A pleasure to work with.
Legal 500 US
Founded by Robin Gibbs, named “Father of the Litigation Boutique in Texas” by The Texas Lawbook, the firm sustains a forward-thinking culture of creativity and a personal approach to managing its client matters. Reciprocity is at the core of all of the firm’s client engagements. Risk sharing with clients and innovative fee arrangements are a hallmark of Gibbs & Bruns’ practice. The firm’s track record of successes for clients since 1983 attests to the talents, creativity, and dedication of the firm’s trial lawyers.
Recent results demonstrate the significance of our firm’s impact on the nationwide litigation scene:
- $8.5 Billion Countrywide RMBS Precedent–Setting Settlement Obtained for 22 Institutional Investor Clients (2015)
- $7 Billion Allowed Claim - ResCap Bankruptcy Settlement with 17 Institutional Investors (2013)
- $4.5 Billion Settlement with JPMorgan on Behalf of 21 Institutional Investors (2013)
- $2.4 Billion Settlement with Lehman Brothers on Behalf of 14 Institutional Investors (2017)
- $1.7 Billion Net Settlement Package for Huntsman; including $1.1 billion in financing and $632 million in cash, the largest cash settlement payment ever recovered with respect to a busted LBO (2009)
- $1.13 Billion Settlement with Citigroup on Behalf of 18 Institutional Investors (2014)
- $1 Billion in Total Recoveries for Clients, Including $400 Million Settlement with Credit Suisse - National Century Enterprises (NCFE) Securities Litigation (2013)
- Major Defense Win in Multi-Billion Dollar Environmental Trial for Waste Management; settlement was less than one percent of the government’s demand (2014)
- $196 Million Judgment Win for Plaintiff Client D. Bobbitt Noel Jr. against Devon Energy (2011)
- $100 Million Value Arbitration Award for Venoco against Denbury Onshore (2014)
- $56 Million Take-Nothing Success for Natural Resource Partners (2019)
- Take Nothing Judgment for Private Client in $40 Million Trade Secrets Dispute (2021)
- $37.2 Million Recovery for Client Against the Port of Houston (Verdict 2010, Finalized 2017)
- $35 Million in Settlements for ERG re: Contract Dispute in the Republic of Columbia (2017)
- $12.4 Million Judgment for Private Client in Dispute with EnVen Energy Corp. (2021)
- $8.1 Million Trial Win for Private Client in Employment Agreement Dispute (2021)
- $5.65 Million in Damages Awarded in Trial Win for U.S. Pipeline (2018, Affirmed by Nebraska Supreme Court 2019)
- $4.58 Million Jury Verdict for Plaintiff Client SourceGas in Dispute against Noble Energy (2011)
- Successful resolution of seven-year dispute for Chevron re the transfer of its responsibility for massive future dismantling and restoration costs of the Trans-Alaska Pipeline; the firm succeeded on each aspect of the legal disputes involved in this matter (2019)
Updated Sep 2022