Larson LLP litigates and tries complex commercial and white collar cases, regulatory matters, appeals, and international disputes. With a team of some of the most experienced and respected trial lawyers in the nation, we focus on high-stakes cases. Our elite trial advocacy and broad experience inform all aspects of our litigation strategy and create winning opportunities to achieve optimal results for each client before, at, and after trial
The firm handles all facets of complex commercial and business litigation matters, including contractual disputes and business torts; class actions; intellectual property; real estate, environmental and natural resources; media and entertainment; employment litigation and counseling; and ground-breaking civil rights litigation. Our white collar defense practice is among the most decorated in the country, having taken on some of the biggest cases in the history of California and highly publicized cases nationwide. We have a robust appellate practice comprising attorneys with decades of experience in federal and state appellate courts nationwide, including appearances before the U.S. Supreme Court.
Founded in 2016, our firm’s talented attorneys range from junior associates coming off of federal clerkships to highly experienced former federal and state prosecutors, federal public defenders, arbitrators and special masters, and a federal judge.
A Record of Success:
A representative sample of our successes at trial and on appeal is as follows:
- Won complete acquittal of Colonies Partners managing partner Jeffrey Burum following a marathon jury trial in People v. Biane et al., defeating the government's allegations that the defendants bribed county officials to obtain a $102 million settlement in an eminent domain case, which at the time, then-Attorney General Jerry Brown dubbed to be one of the most significant public corruption matters in California's history. Following the complete defense verdict at trial, obtained a $65 million settlement for Colonies Partners, L.P. and its co-managing partner for the retaliatory investigation and malicious prosecution, among other civil rights claims.
- Represented clients in an SEC action in federal court after successfully appealing and reversing a $15.5 million disgorgement and penalties judgment against them.
- Obtained complete acquittal at general court-martial trial of a military officer charged with multiple felony violations of the Uniform Code of Military Justice.
- Retained as trial counsel to represent investors in a class action against Snap Inc., which resulted in a $154 million settlement of all claims against the defendants.
- Counseled the Orange County Water District in its efforts to remediate volatile organic compounds in the Orange County North Basin, pursuant to CERCLA and related federal and state regulations, resulting in successfully achieving the site’s status on the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s Superfund National Priorities List.
- Won summary judgment, later affirmed on appeal, in favor of a private water company and its officers, defeating allegations that defendants misappropriated water rights and breached fiduciary duties.
- Prevailed before the U.S. Court of Appeals, affirming the dismissals we obtained on behalf of an A-list actor and producer in two intellectual property disputes.
- Obtained multimillion-dollar settlements for the Quapaw Nation and tribe members in a lawsuit spanning 17 years regarding claims that the federal government mismanaged tribal assets.
- Obtained a favorable sole-tax-count, no-custody, no-restitution disposition, and the dismissal of all remaining charges for an aerospace economic development expert charged with embezzling millions of dollars in NASA funds in the highly publicized People v. Shaw.
- Successfully represented the states of Arizona and Oklahoma in connection with their efforts to seek recovery following the Volkswagen AG emissions “Diesel Dupe” scandal, obtaining settlements totaling more than $40 million.
- Won summary judgment in favor of a mass media company in a hotly contested employment dispute.
- Obtained a $10 million jury verdict and judgment against the Rose Bowl Aquatic Center and in favor of a minor child abused at the defendant's facilities.
- After five days of trial in federal court, secured dismissal of all nine counts alleged against a retired senior Drug Enforcement Administration agent accused of conspiring to commit fraud and make false statements to federal officers in USA v. Herrera.
- Represented Arizona voters challenging the constitutionality of unequally populated voting districts created by a state commission, before the U.S. Supreme Court in Harris v. Arizona Independent Redistricting Commission.
Awards & Recognition
- Ranked a “Tier 1” firm in Los Angeles for Commercial Litigation and Criminal Defense: White-Collar, and ranked nationally for Criminal Defense: White-Collar, by U.S. News - Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms.”
- Stephen G. Larson ranked by Chambers USA for White-Collar Crime & Government Investigations.
- Stephen G. Larson selected to Daily Journal’s list of "Top 100 Lawyers in California" for five consecutive years.
- Hilary Potashner named “Defense Attorney of the Year” by the Los Angeles County Bar Association Criminal Justice Section.
- Six partners—including Stephen G. Larson, Jonathan E. Phillips, Hilary Potashner, and Paul A. Rigali are recognized by The Best Lawyers in America©.
- Stephen G. Larson and Jonathan E. Phillips honored with the California Lawyer Attorneys of the Year (CLAY) Award by the Daily Journal for their successful defense in the 10-month jury trial in People v. Biane et al.
- Seven partners—including Stephen G. Larson, Jonathan E. Phillips, and Hilary Potashner—recognized by the Los Angeles Business Journal as among the most influential people, top litigators, and top women attorneys in the city.
Community Outreach & Pro Bono
Diversity, equity, and inclusion are core values at Larson LLP that guide our efforts to work within and help improve our legal community. Our attorneys carry these principles throughout their practice and in their involvement with diversity-driven professional organizations—including the Leadership Council on Legal Diversity (LCLD), the Institute for Inclusion in the Legal Profession (IILP) Social Impact Incubator, Just the Beginning—A Pipeline Organization, the National Asian Pacific American Bar Association (NAPABA), and the Judicial Externship and Scholarship Committee for the Mexican American Bar Association, to name a few.
Our attorneys have dedicated significant portions of their practices to community outreach and pro bono projects, including by partnering with Public Counsel’s adoption program, through which our attorneys and staff finalize adoptions, advocate for children with special needs, and petition to receive the appropriate levels of funding for families; joining the Law Firm Antiracism Alliance (LFAA), the national coalition of law firms aiming to create large-scale, coordinated pro bono projects that address systemic racism; and sponsoring the Larson LLP Cohort of UCLA Law Fellows, a program designed to encourage and prepare high-potential students for a career in law and increase the diversity of the law school pool, as well as mentoring UCLA Law Fellows Program alumni who are now law students. We continue to target and expand our pro bono efforts to those who need it most.
Updated Aug 2021