J. Adam Dewar is a partner in the firm and his practice focuses on both plaintiff and defence side class actions and commercial litigation.
In the area of class actions he is part of the firm’s counsel team in:
- Fresco v. CIBC (unpaid overtime – certified June 2012 – Successful Summary Judgment Motion 2020 – Settled 2023)
- Cunningham v. RBC DS (unpaid vacation pay – certified 2022)
- Stadnyk v City of Thunder Bay (damage to copper pipes throughout the City of Thunder Bay, Ontario)
- Quenneville et al v. Volkswagen (Volkswagen Diesel Emission Manipulations – settled 2018)
- Quinte v. Eastwood Mall et al (collapse of the Algo Centre Mall in Elliot Lake Ontario – certified February 2014)
- Bozsik v. Livingston International (unpaid overtime – certified 2017 and settled 2019)
- Christiansen v. Mettrum Ltd (Tainted Medical Marijuana – Settled 2021)
- Fantl v. Transamerica Life (management fee overcharges – settled Summer 2009)
- Monckton v. Canadian Business College (private college class action – settled 2011)
- Fulawka v. Scotiabank (unpaid overtime – settled 2015 & 2016)
- Lipson v. Cassels Brock (negligent tax advice – certified March 2013)
- Sa’d v. Remington Group (excess development fees – settled March 2013)
On the Defence side, Adam was part of the firm’s counsel team in several alleged defective goods class actions against a Fortune 500 technology company.
Adam is involved in a variety of corporate commercial matters dealing with oppression, derivative actions, regulatory matters and employment issues. As a result of his activities in various aspects of litigation, Adam has appeared as counsel at all levels of court in Ontario.
Adam has written articles for a number of publications on a variety of class action, evidence and commercial litigation topics.
From 2019 through 2022 Adam has been named a “Litigation Star” by Benchmark Litigation Canada.
Updated April 2023