Described by Benchmark Litigation as a “maverick boutique” that “occupies a unique space in the crowded New York market,” Hoguet Newman Regal & Kenney, LLP has, for more than 25 years, provided the most sophisticated counsel to clients across the country in their highest-stakes matters. We remain small by design, preserving a model that demands the utmost standards, personal attention, and a focus on efficiency.
Our lawyers bring decades of training at government agencies and leading Am Law 100 law firms, and we are recognized for excellence in commercial litigation generally, and in the specific areas of insurance recovery, white collar defense, construction disputes, and the representation of public agencies. HNRK also counsels clients on the full range of labor and employment issues.
HNRK has litigated and is currently litigating many significant and cutting-edge matters in state and federal courts throughout the country. We recently won, for instance, a $120 million award on behalf of our clients in a precedent-setting intellectual property licensing trial involving the famous Palm steakhouse, a decision unanimously affirmed by the appellate court. HNRK is also representing a global company in international arbitration for an ongoing claim for insurance coverage in excess of $700 million. We also recently represented:
- An international agribusiness company against more than 50 insurance companies over a $170 million liability.
- A refinery inspection company in a complete defense victory against Sinclair following a trial over more than $88 million in claims arising from a major refinery fire.
- A large New York City apartment building in a significant decision for New York policyholders, making clear—for the first time—the minimal standard needed to plead a bad faith claim and confirming that New York recognizes that a policyholder may assert a claim for damages, including attorneys’ fees, arising from an insurance company’s bad faith claims handling.
- The head interest swaps trader at Barclays Bank in a government investigation by the Department of Justice and the U.K. Serious Fraud Office alleging manipulation of the LIBOR rate in violation of U.S. and U.K. securities laws.
- A public authority in a $300 million litigation against a national defense contractor over the development and installation of a high-technology, software-based security system for the region’s mass transit system, culminating in a five-week trial in the Southern District of New York.
- A foreign corporation against $500 million in property damage claims brought by 3,000 individuals in the District of Puerto Rico, which was amicably resolved on the eve of trial.
In two years alone, HNRK took numerous additional cases to trial. Among others, we:
- Represented a partner in a snack-food company in a dispute with another partner, in which HNRK secured a favorable settlement after a multi-day trial.
- Defended an international agribusiness company in a multi-week CPR Institute for Dispute Resolution arbitration over the commercialization of an agrochemical product, which resulted in a complete victory for our client.
- Successfully represented a policyholder in an AAA arbitration against an insurer concerning coverage for asbestos claims.
- Defended a public agency in a two-day hearing at the U.S. Department of Labor concerning a whistleblower complaint about safety practices.
- Defended a public agency in an action under a federal statute brought by an allegedly injured employee.
HNRK is certified by the State of New York and the City of New York as a Women-Owned Business Enterprise and, according to the New York Law Journal, was the fourth-largest certified women-owned law firm in the State of New York as of 2016.
Practice Areas and Industries:
- Commercial Litigation & Dispute Resolution
- Construction Industry
- Insurance Recovery Litigation & Counseling
- Labor, Employment Law & Counseling
- White Collar Defense & Government Investigations
Last updated Sep 2020