Described by Benchmark Litigation as a “maverick boutique” that “occupies a unique space in the crowded New York market,” Hoguet Newman Regal & Kenney, LLP has, for more than 25 years, provided the most sophisticated counsel to clients across the country in their highest-stakes matters. We remain small by design, preserving a model that demands the utmost standards, personal attention, and a focus on efficiency.
Our lawyers bring decades of training at government agencies and leading Am Law 100 law firms, and we are recognized for excellence in commercial litigation generally, and in the specific areas of insurance recovery, white collar defense, construction disputes, and the representation of public agencies. HNRK also counsels clients on the full range of labor and employment issues.
HNRK has litigated, and is currently litigating, many significant and cutting-edge matters in state and federal courts throughout the country. We recently won, for instance, a $120 million award on behalf of our clients in a precedent-setting intellectual property licensing trial involving the famous Palm steakhouse, a decision unanimously affirmed by the appellate court. HNRK is also representing a global company in litigation and an international arbitrations for ongoing claims for insurance coverage in excess of $250 million. We have also recently represented:
- An international agribusiness company in insurance coverage litigation against more than 50 insurance companies over a $170 million liability, which culminated in favorable settlements on the eve of trial.
- A refinery inspection company in a case involving claims totaling $88 million allegedly caused by a fire, culminating in a complete defense victory following trial.
- The owner of a radio station in an insurance coverage action concerning a high-profile invasion-of-privacy lawsuit brought by a retired professional wrestler alleging harm from the release of a sex tape, which culminated in a favorable settlement after
- HNRK defeated the insurer’s motion to dismiss the company’s claims for breach of contract and bad faith.
- A large New York City apartment building in an insurance coverage action that yielded a significant decision for New York policyholders, making clear—for the first time—the minimal standard needed to plead a bad faith claim and confirming that New York recognizes that a policyholder may assert a claim for damages, including attorneys’ fees, arising from an insurance company’s bad faith claims handling.
- A manufacturer in an insurance coverage action involving the loss of goods, which culminated in a complete victory at the Second Circuit Court of Appeals, which affirmed the district court’s liability and damages awards in all respects.
- The head interest swaps trader at Barclays Bank in a government investigation by the Department of Justice and the U.K. Serious Fraud Office alleging manipulation of the LIBOR rate in violation of U.S. and U.K. securities laws.
- A top advertising industry executive in an action against Verizon over a noncompete clause that threatened to scuttle the client’s career defining job.
- An equities trader against unfounded insider trading allegations in a FINRA enforcement proceeding that led to a FINRA panel dismissing the proceeding in its entirety following a three-day disciplinary hearing.
- A public authority in a $300 million litigation against a national defense contractor over the development and installation of a high-technology, software-based security system for the region’s mass transit system, culminating in a five-week trial in the Southern District of New York.
- A foreign corporation facing property damage claims totaling $500 million brought by 3,000 individuals in the District of Puerto Rico, which were amicably resolved on the eve of trial.
HNRK has taken numerous additional cases to trial in the past few years. These representations include:
- An international agribusiness company in a multi-week CPR Institute for Dispute Resolution arbitration over the commercialization of an agrochemical product, which resulted in a complete victory for our client.
- A partner in a snack-food company in a dispute with another partner, in which HNRK secured a favorable settlement after a multi-day trial.
- A policyholder in an AAA arbitration against an insurer concerning coverage for asbestos claims, resulting in an award rejecting the insurer’s position that the policyholder’s claims had been released under the terms of a settlement agreement.
- A public agency in an action under a federal statute brought by an allegedly injured employee, culminating in a defense verdict.
HNRK is certified by the State of New York and the City of New York as a Women-Owned Business Enterprise.
Practice Areas and Industries:
- Commercial Litigation & Dispute Resolution
- Construction Industry
- Insurance Recovery Litigation & Counseling
- Labor, Employment Law & Counseling
- White Collar Defense & Government Investigations
Updated Aug 2022