Andy Frankel is Head of Simpson Thacher’s Insurance and Reinsurance Practice and a Partner in the Firm’s Litigation Department. He has more than 30 years of experience successfully representing clients in a wide variety of complex disputes, including insurance, securities, product liability and other commercial litigation and investigations. Andy has successfully litigated cases in state and federal trial and appellate courts throughout the United States and in domestic and international arbitrations. He was recognized by Law360 as a 2019 “MVP” in Insurance for his work representing insurers in several high-profile disputes, including asbestos-related direct actions and coverage disputes involving other mass tort litigations. Andy has been named a “Litigation Star” by Benchmark Litigation and recognized by The Legal 500 U.S., Best Lawyers in America and as a “Thought Leader” in Who’s Who Legal.
Andy’s engagements include:
- Financial institutions including RBS, Deutsche Bank and UBS as issuers and underwriters in numerous residential-mortgage-backed securities litigations, including suits brought by the FHFA, the FDIC and other purchasers of mortgage-backed securities
- Travelers Indemnity Company in Travelers Indemn. Co. v. Bailey, 557 U.S. 137 (2009), in which the Supreme Court resolved important issues concerning the finality and permissible scope of bankruptcy court injunctions
- Insurers and other parties as creditors in numerous bankruptcy proceedings and appeals, including in In re Johns-Manville Corp., Hillsborough Holding Co., North American Refractories Corp., Global Industrial Technologies, Mid-Valley, API, The Muralo Co., ACandS, Western MacArthur, Plant Insulation, Specialty Products Holding Corp., In re Imerys S.A., and In re LTL Management LLC (Johnson & Johnson)
- Insurance defendants in private actions and government-initiated proceedings involving disparate impact and disparate treatment theories claims under the Fair Housing Act and state fair housing laws and regulations
- Insurers and other parties in numerous high-stakes coverage-related disputes, including Continental Insurance Co. v. Honeywell Int’l Inc.; Plant Insulation Co. v. Fireman’s Fund Ins. Co.; Bondex Int’l, Inc. v. Hartford Accident & Indem. Co.; Travelers Casualty and Surety Company v. Honeywell Int’l Inc.; E.I. DuPont Nemours and Co. v. Travelers Casualty and Surety Co.; Montrose Chemical Corp. v. Canadian Universal Ins. Co.; In re Liquidation of Midland Insurance Co.; and Atlanta Int’l Ins. Co. v. Johnson & Johnson
- B.A.T Industries plc in numerous healthcare expense reimbursement actions seeking billions of dollars in damages
Andy joined Simpson Thacher in 1992 and became a Partner in 1999. Prior to joining the Firm, Andy clerked for Judge Morton I. Greenberg of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit, and Judge Mitchell H. Cohen of the U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey. He is a 1990 graduate of Brooklyn Law School, where he was a member of the Brooklyn Law Review.
Updated Aug 2023